New University Master's Student Works With Dolphin

Golzar Selbe, a master's candidate at the Milano The New School for Management and Urban Policy, worked with Dolphin in July, and experienced first-hand the importance of the anti-rape workshops. Below is an excerpt of an e-mail she sent to family and friends:

So as you know I am in Kenya working with an amazing organization called Dolphin Anti-Rape and AIDS Awareness Outreach. Being here I have grown to love not only the organization, but the people who work for it. Especially the founders, Winnie and Duncan. It has been around, and struggling, since 1998. It travels to elementary, middle and high schools teaching AIDS awareness, teaching boys to respect women and NOT to rape, and mostly working with the girls and teaching them self-defense against rape.

There are many girls who have used these defenses and saved themselves from rape, some who I have even met. The youngest was 8 years old, and the oldest is 65. When school is out, then travel to women's centers, churches, and orphanages to teach other women.

Despite their long standing NGO status and their great work, they struggle financially. I walked up the steps of the building their office is in, down a dark hall in to the office. I was amazed to see one empty room with some plastic chairs, a desk, and brochures and flyers on the desk. There was only one light bulb, but two light fixtures. When I wanted to get a video of the walk into the office through the hallway they had to remove the light bulb from the office and put it in the hallway just for me be able to record. This is how little money they have. There are posters on the wall from different organizations like V-Day or UNICEF. But that is all. Still they are able to do such amazing work. Every penny they get goes directly to gas and cost of transportation to the schools.

It was like out of a movie. I couldn't believe it. It breaks my heart how little they have, but inspires me to see how much they can do with so little. I have never seen an organization run so efficiently.




When I first arrived in Kenya, Dolphin was operating with no computer, printer, internet, or file cabinets. Their accounting book was full and they needed a new one. Not to mention the light bulbs. With the amazing help and support of my wonderful friends, family, and their friends and family we were able to raise $1,894! The best part is that number is still growing. I am still getting checks and new pledges. This was able to furnish the office with a computer, 3 in 1 printer to minimize their external costs, a file cabinet that locks (which is necessary), light bulbs, a Katarsi Analysis book, 2 tanks of gas, and some stipends for the local volunteers. These valuable people need and deserve the financial incentive to keep them around and fulfill their needs. Their patience when it comes to stipends amazes me; how many full time jobs do you work for without a paycheck?

So, after a nice long pat on our backs, it’s time to realize that our work is not done. Their car is still barley functional, and being a mobile organization that travels to the schools directly, it is a crucial component that needs to be updated. The car is so old and beaten up that when they picked me up from the airport the police pulled them over to tell them that they aren't allowed to drive it to the airport, as they do not want foreigners seeing such an old and ugly vehicle. With a better functioning vehicle they can maximize the amount of schools they can reach in a week, and they can venture into the outskirts of Nairobi. Now we are working to raise money for a new vehicle. If everyone donates a little then a lot can be done. Our suggested donations are $20 each, but give as much or as little as you can; be it $5 or $100.

Thanks for being a part of the team!

1 comment:

Mariam said...

MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTH. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
Love Spells
Luck, Money Spells
Health, Well Being
Protection, Healing
Curses, ex, Breakups
NEW! Combo Spells
High Priestess Spells
Vampire Spells
Authentic Voodoo Spells
Custom, Other Spells
Business spells
Health/Healing spells
Curse removal
Job spells
Healing from all kind of diseases
Love binding
Barrenness(need a child)
Need love
Lottery Spells
Promotions
Success
Money rituals
winning court case
Divorce spells
Low sperm count
Infertility in women
Breast enlargement/reduction
Penis enlargement/reduction
YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com and here is his facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014833723968 thanks